Wednesday, February 23, 2011

More Squash love

If you read Elizabeth's post, you can see her preparing her amazing Blue Hubbard Squash Soup. And I gotta be honest here, those squash kinda scare me. They are frigging b-i-g!!! Like I don't know if I could manage that process or not, something about thick squash skin, super sharp knife, my usual distracted approach to cooking.....hmmm, not so much (sorry darling E, you know I adore you!)
So, for those of us looking for something easier, just scroll on down to read how I make Squash soup. And even if you think you won't like it, I bet you will.....


Just realized my Hipstamatic made these veggies green which they are not, tee, hee.

Buy a package of Root Vegetables from the store. I usually get them at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods where I can find organic veggies already peeled and cut up. I get one package of root veggies and one package of butternut squash.
Pre-heat oven to 400. 
Put all the veggies on a cooking sheet. Add chopped up onion, garlic, sweet potato, turnip, whatever you might want. Pour some olive oil over top, not so it's swimming, but enough so there is a nice glaze of coverage (you can do this part in a zip log bag if you want, just toss it all around). Salt & Pepper and make sure everything is well mixed.
Place in the oven and cook till fork tender, perhaps 20 minutes or so depending on how big the chunks of squash are.
Typically, we eat this as a side dish to Salmon or Roasted Chicken. So I usually making the soup on Day 2 using my leftovers.
Fill a medium/large saucepan about halfway with Chicken or Veggie Stock. Add your leftover veggies. Decide what flavor you want to use to punch it up. I often add a peeled/chopped up apple. I think Chipotle would be good, but I haven't tried it. Sometimes I don't add anything extra.
Allow it to cook for awhile and make sure all components are good and tender. Taste and adjust flavor as desired.
Then, using an immersion blender (or you can transfer to a regular blender) puree the entire mixture. If you want it creamy, add a dab of milk, cream, half & half, etc.
Depending on your own taste for creamy, chunky, etc. you can strain the soup. Sometimes the onions don't want to play nice with my immersion blender so I will often strain out those parts.
When serving, I like to drizzle a bit of artisan vinegar (mango is my fave) over the top. Serve with a crusty bread and you are good to go.
I think I know what I'm having for lunch today.....

Don't forget the book contest......and also Elizabeth's contest for original art!!

1 comment:

  1. This is exactly how I make my soups now. I roast the veggies first and then blend them with some of the stock. The soups have so much flavor! Sometimes I use Trader Joe's roasted corn and blend that into the soup as well. Adds some sweetnes and creaminess as well.

    ReplyDelete

If you are entering a GIVEAWAY, please add your email address in the event I need to contact you.

To avoid SPAM, please write it like this:
stencilgirlproducts (at) gmail (dot com)