Sunday, May 09, 2010

A Story for Mother's Day

I know this amazing Dad (a collector of mine) who contacted me last year to make a collage painting of his son as a gift for his wife on Mother's Day. This year he called again and asked me to update the family. It's so touching to watch them grow. 

To start the process the Dad writes a bit of text and sends it to me, along with a bunch of pictures. His text is poetic and heartfelt - it sums up his feelings about his children, the things they do together, likes/dislikes, etc. I use his writing as inspiration and then search thru my collection to find visuals that will help create a meaningful piece.

Here are this year's pieces. Each and every collage element is symbolic and specific to this family's story. And that is what these collages represent - stories. I love the role of visual story-teller. Inserting hidden parts into my works, little snippets that surprise and (hopefully) delight the viewer. Each and every time, I truly feel honored to have been 'allowed in' if you know what I mean.

Happy Mother's Day to my Mom and to all the Moms who work so hard making this world a better place.

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful to create this visual history for them - interesting song...makes me wonder what the connection is? Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete

If you are entering a GIVEAWAY, please add your email address in the event I need to contact you.

To avoid SPAM, please write it like this:
stencilgirlproducts (at) gmail (dot com)